Statcounter

dinsdag 25 april 2017

5 covers you need to hear: Part 3

Today I'm back with another cover article for you all to enjoy. The idea sparked while I was in the car the other day and I heard Why'd You Only Call Me When Your High? by The Artic Monkeys on the radio. I remembered the cover Miley Cyrus had done for MTV Unplugged. So I figured it was a good idea to do another cover post and share that song, among others. Then I had to come up with four others, which technically shouldn''t be very hard. I know plenty, but coming up with a few when you are writing an article isn't that easy. But I did it in the end, I managed to find four more and that's why this article is here. If you are curious to hear the songs then please continue reading below.


As promised I'm starting with Miley Cyrus' cover of The Artic Monkey's song Why'd You Only Call Me When You're High? I didn't even know the original until I heard Miley's cover of it. The song probably never charted very high, at least not over here I'm guessing. Which is actually a shame, because it's a really good song. I've heard it on the radio a couple of times, but it's not the first song you think of when you mention The Artic Monkeys. Miley's cover is at least just as good as the original and maybe even better. Feel free to dissagree with me, but I really love this cover. I love the last bit of the song the best. Starting at 2:24 when she goes to the top of her voice and just starts belting the song. It sounds so cool. People often don't realize what a great singer Miley actually is cause of her Disney past and the controversy surrounding her. But she really is a great singer. I've heard her so quite a few amazing covers in quite a few genres, her voice is very versatile.

Ed Sheeran is another one of those artists who has done tons of covers. I really appreciate that when an artist pays tribute to a song or artist that they love. With his cover of Bob Dylan's Masters of War Ed Sheeran put his on spin on the song. It's close enough to the original, yet he still puts his own take on it. The singing is slighty more melodic and the guitar is very Ed Sheeran, but the base is still Dylan. The perfect combination of the old and the new is what makes this so good. It's like Ed knows exactly what to do to give a cover his own spin, without losing the original. Everyone can cover a song, but covering a song well takes something special. Ed Sheeran has that special something.

Now Norah Jones and Dave Grohl is quite an unlikely combination, but it works. Together they cover Maybe I'm Amazed by Paul McCartney. Now I've said it before. Performing a cover of a song when the original artist is watching you is nerve wrecking. Having the President of the United States there probably also doesn't help. But Dave Grohl and Norah Jones really pulled it off. The difference in their voices works really well, the smooth and calm of Norah and the roughness of Dave just fits together. Dave Grohl has credited Paul McCartney and The Beatles many times as one of his inspirations which makes the performance extra special. You can feel the mutual respect from both sides. This is a beautiful cover that really deserved to be heard.

Now I'm not necessarily a huge Bruno Mars fan, but I definitely recognize his talent. When I heard that he performed at Sting's Kennedy Centre honors I had to see it. Especially because i thought his voice would be really great for Sting/The Police songs. With his mash-up of So Lonely and Message In a Bottle by The Police he really stole the show. There's not much more to say about this, except that it's just really good. There's nothing particulary special about the way he performed the songs, but that's okay. He just killed it. The most beautiful thing perhaps is the reaction of Sting and his wife. Their reaction is so genuine and enthusiastic, it's beautiful to watch. Major respect to Bruno Mars for this, he did such a great job.

P!nk is probably one of the most underrated singers ever. She has scored quite a few hits on her own, people love her music. Yet I'm not sure people know what her voice is actually capable of. Covering Me & Bobby McGee by Janis Joplin she shows a whole other side of her. She has such a strong voice that fits so well for a Janis Joplin song. This acoustic cover is quite a few years old, but every once in a while I come across it or remember how good it was. It just stays with you. If that happens you know you've seen something really good. Which is definitely the case for this one.

This was all for now. 5 covers you may or may not know. Please leave a reply in the comments below and tell me what you thoughts of these covers. I'd love to know you thoughts.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten