Statcounter

zaterdag 1 april 2017

5 covers you need to hear: Part 2

As I said before, I really love when artists cover a song. It sometimes shows a new side of someone and it's fun to hear a familiar song in a new way. And even if we don't know the song that's being covered then we might even discover a new song or artist from it. So really you can't go wrong with a cover. Also, since covers are so popular they get played a lot on the radio and in performances. So there is a lot of footage out there. Just think of the BBC Live Lounge for example. Some covers become legendary even. I selected 5 cover for you today and I hope you will enjoy them just as much as I do.


Triggerfinger is not a band known to everyone, which is a damn shame. Cause everyone worldwide should have heard of them. They're a Belgian rockband consisting of 3 sharp dressed men, rocking out. for just 3 members they make a hell of a lot of noise (the good kind). Now Triggerfinger is mostly known from their cover of I Follow Rivers by Lykke Li, but the one people might not yet know is this cover of Man Down by Rihanna. They took the song and completely made it a Triggerfinger song. It just sounds super tight and heavy and cool and just plain awesome. There's not much more I can say. You have to hear it for yourself.

Sometimes I wonder, is there anything Ed Sheeran can't do? I'm sure there must be, though I haven't found it yet. At least he can make some really good cover, that's for sure. This cover of Hozier's Take Me To Church took me a bit to get used to at first. When it starts out all you think is, slow down! It's way faster than the version we all know and love. But then once you get to the chorus it starts feeling so good. Ed just brings a certain groove that only he can bring and it just works. Combined with the fantastic backup vocals it still has enough of the original, but yet it also has enough Ed in it. My favorite thing about this is probably that little raw edge to Ed's voice that make everything sound ten times better.


Covering a classic like Fleetwood Mac's Go Your Own Way is a big risk. Some people will never like anything but the original. Others will at the very least be very critical. Yet sometimes you have to take a risk. In this case in turned out pretty good. I'm a Fleetwood Mac fan, but I'm also a Lissie fan, so I knew if anyone could pull it off it was her. And she did. She also made it truly her own, it suddenly sounds like a Lissie song and not a Fleetwood Mac song. Which is quite incredible. Do I not miss the original guitar solo? Of course I do, the original will always remain my favorite but this version is still really great anyway.


Usally the Pretty Reckless make a lot more noise, but for this cover of Champagne Supernova by Oasis they toned it down a little. This cover just works, Taylor Momsen has the perfect voice to fill in for the unique sound of Liam Gallagher's voice. A nice twist in the middle occurs when they throw in a little bit of Dear Prudence by the Beatles. A seamless transition that would make you think the song has always sounded like this. All in all a great cover, one I didn't expect to love as much as I did when I went to first play it.


Now for this cover of Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin you better get your tissues ready.to perform such a classic song can be stressful in general. Performing it while the original band members, President Obama, Michelle Obama and a lot of other important people are watching you must be incredibly scary. Yet Heart did just that, and not only did they do good. The beautiful thing is that you can see the faces of Robert Plant, Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones. You can see how happy this makes them, but you can also see the tears in Robert Plant's eyes. This all combined with the stunning performance is enough to give you goosebumps. And that's not all, because the man behind the drums in no other than Jason Bonham, the son of Led Zeppelin drummer John Bonham who passed away in 1980. All I can say is watch this and be amazed, no words can describe this performance really.

These were today's 5 covers. Please leave a comment below and let me know which one was your favorite.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten