Statcounter

maandag 1 mei 2017

Eurovision: The contestants part 14

Today's article is part 14 of my Eurovision series. In exactly 8 days it's time for the first semi-final. The first part of the series was posted on March 8, back then it seemed like Eurovision was ages away. Now in less than 2 weeks we'll know who the winner will be. But before that we have 3 more parts to go, including this one. In part 13 I showed you the last 2 contestants of the second semi-final. Which means that the upcoming songs will be the ones who already have a spot in the Grand-Final. I have 2 more songs for you from France and Germany. Let's continue below and see what these songs sound like.

Representing France is Alma with the song Requiem. If you have followed my Eurovision series then you will know that generally I'm not a huge fan of songs that aren't sung in English. I must say that this song is an exception though. Even though I don't know what it's about it's still quite a nice song. It's quite catchy and sounds fun. Judging from this performance I do hope that the dancer will be a but further way from Alma once she's performing in Kiev. What I also hope is that she will move a little more herself. She seems pretty stuck to her microphone standard here. The stage at Eurovision will be quite a lot bigger than the one in this video. it would be a shame if she didn't use it a little more. I'm not asking for a full dance routine from her, but a little movement would be nice. Now Alma is a very fresh faced woman, which makes her come of very charming. Now obviously the song will have to be good, but her appearance might help her a little. All in all Alma is a talented singer with a fun, catchy song. Now obviously she already has a spot in the Grand-Final. I don't think this will be the next winner of Eurovision though. There are songs in the competition that might speak to people a little more.

For Germany Levina will be performing the song Perfect Live. First things first, as soon as the song starts you will have a déjà vu moment. That riff sounds awfully familiar doesn't it? That is because it's almost identical to the riff from Titanium by David Guetta & Sia. I have no idea what the rules are for this at Eurovision, but as far as I know you must submit an original song. As far as I can tell from Wikipedia writing credits it doesn't seem like they used a legal sample. Not since Levina is still in the competition I'm guessing the EBU allows this. I do wonder if they are gonna get into any legal trouble at some point though. Cause I've heard far less clear forms of plagiarism before, this one is really clear. Now moving on to the rest of the song, I'm not a huge fan of this. Levina's singing seems a little off key at times and the song just doesn't really do it for me. The song isn't terrible, but it doesn't speak to me. For me a good song immediately sparks your interest, it's catchy, it's easy to listen to. This just isn't quite that. I have seen much better submissions this year. And then there's the borrowing of the riff, if they didn't get permission for the use then it would not be very classy. Also, I don't think it's a smart move. Maybe the composers thought so, but I think people will see it as a rip-off and will not vote for it. I don't see a very bright feature at Eurovision for this song.

These were today's songs. Please let me know below what your opinion is on these 2 songs.
 
Find the other parts here:

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten